The first week I moved in to my new house, a neighbor came and knocked on my door. She asked me if I might be able to keep Ruby inside. It was 9:30 at night, she was barking at something and the neighbor had a sleeping 9-month-old. Because the back door has a doggy door, it's difficult for me to control her habit. So I bought her a bark collar. I started out with a citronella spray collar. Every time she barks it sprays citronella. The smell, sound and spray are supposed to surprise her. Well. the dogs conspired and got the collar off while I was at work. Then they chewed it to bits.
After a couple days without a collar (and a lot of barking) I went back to the store and got a SHOCK collar. Well, it works, I guess. But the dogs are too smart. Again they got it off of Ruby, this time in the snowy yard. Luckily it's waterproof.
So the next day I put it back on her. Once again, I got home that afternoon and Ruby was collarless. I didn't have to look far. In the middle of the living room was her shock collar. they had chewed it and it was missing the battery. I found the battery, the collar still worked (although it's probably not waterproof anymore) and I soaked it in Bitter Yuck.
Today it was still on Ruby, although it had been loosened.
I'm hoping she just learns her lesson and I won't have to deal with this anymore.