Sunday, June 14, 2009

Garden Update

It's been a little over a month since I planted my garden, and it's looking great. I had a little episode with some birds who were determined to carry it away, piece by piece, but they have since moved on to greener pastures (unrelated: the dogs have caught two birds. TWO! I don't think they are falling out of the tree. I mean, they are birds).
My lettuce is doing much better than I expected. I harvested my first (bunch? it's leaf lettuce) on thursday had a salad with it, and still had left overs. I harvested again today and have another quart baggie. I'm still not sure how to clean it effectively. I think I need a salad spinner.
Since I took these pictures, I've added plastic netting to keep the tomatoes in line. they've started overwhelming the peppers and the second row of lettuce (which is between the tomatoes and sunflowers. It doesn't get much sun...).


2 comments:

Dawn McKinstry said...

To wash my arugula, I rinse twice in a strainer, then soak twice in a bowl of clean ice-water (to keep it crisp), then rise again. Then I let it drip in the strainer for a little while, then store in a ziplock lined with paper towels. It works for me!

AlliJean said...

Thanks Dawn! That's similar to how I've been washing it. The lettuce is pretty tender. I didn't take it inside immediately this morning after I cut it and it wilted fast!