Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ruby and the ROUS

ruby pondering the world

Ruby really likes living in the city. She likes walking the neighborhood, talking to the people and other dogs. She likes that we live a couple blocks from the dog park. She likes barking at our neighbor's dog and the pigeons in the trees every day. But she really loves the city rats. Or Rodents of Unusual Size (ROUS) if you happen to be a fan of The Princess Bride. I swear they are 2 feet long from snout to tail.

The other day I looked out the window and ruby is dancing around something in the backyard. I never thought she'd actually *catch* an ROUS. I run out yelling at her to back up, a command we've been working on. She actually listens to me, backs up 3 steps and sits down. I grab her collar and we stand there staring at the rat. He's dragging he hide legs and is clearly injured, although I'm not so sure Ruby was the cause. He didn't have any marks on him and Ruby was just kind of poking it with her nose and pawing at him. Well, as we are standing there the rat hisses and lunges towards us. I scream, jump back and rush ruby back into the house. The rat won, and dragged himself into the alley, where I can only hope he was run over by a car or eaten by the hawk.

4 comments:

tct said...

wonderful!!

koushik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
koushik said...

Wow!It is excellent & amazing.Please Visit - Cheap flights to Manila or Cheap Flights to Kathmandu or Cheap flights to Bangkok or Cheap Flights To Dubai.

Anonymous said...

I liked the photographs,
Wisside